I find in Illustrator when designing, I 'duplicate and evolve' and repeat this process many times. When making such small incremental changes to a design you really appreciate how one small tiny change can have a significant impact. It is slow but it is imperative. The above example is still underway.
Number 1 Sumo is looking better than number 2 with the wider head I think - cuter perhaps and the shadows are an improvement and will be essential.
A Sushi game needs to have one of those innocuous fish shaped soy containers. There is so little on the web about the design. I believe it is internationally recognised, certainly must have originated in Japan.
The evolution of the character design continues. The requirement that he must remain in a square (except the head) is an interesting challenge. I am trying to keep it to the 'flat' 3D style but also have internal shape and angles to stop it looking too square. He looks a little like a Lego man with the flat-topped head but you can see the improvement in the design as it changes from the start (left) to the later designs (right).
I have started playing with a Sumo design for Sumoz! This is a very early stage of visual development of the character based on the commissioned designs by Terri.
I am no genius when it comes to scoring mechanisms especially when you are working with opposites or more specifically getting a higher score for a shorter time (fastest time wins). TIGForums offers a solution easy enough for my brain...
"I think I'll try a score multiplier that starts at a high value and slowly decreases to zero after long enough. "